Australia has over 2,000 suicides each year.
About 20 times that number attempt to take
their own lives.
• People kill themselves because of
• Approximately 50% of suicides are
fatal on the ﬁ rst attempt
• 80% of suicide deaths are male
• 80% of non fatal self harm are female
• 30 men and 7 women die from
suicide every week in Australia
• Every week in Australia, about
1,000 people self-harm deliberately
• About 13%* of the population have
contemplated suicide in their lifetime
* 2007 National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing, ABS